Find and Run Robot - A Small, Powerful and Smart Launcher
April 19th, 2006
Find and Run Robot (FARR) is an excellent application and document launcher, a real pearl for keyboard and productivity freaks. This free software tool enables you to launch applications and open documents by simply typing their partial names into a small dialog which can be opened with a single keystroke. The program comes preconfigured to scan the contents of your Start menu and My Documents folder, but it can be configured to scan any folders of your choice.
In a nutshell, these are FARR’s main features:
- Fully keyboard based
- Smart. You just define the folders you want to be scanned, there is no need to manually setup keywords as with most other launchers.
- Adaptive. It learns from your behaviour, the keywords you use the most get a higher score and appear higher in the list.
- Incremental search, just start typing and the results start appearing, ready for you to select them.
- Built-in and user definable aliases. You can use them for grouping files, performing web searches, etc.
- Fast and small with little resource usage. Doesn’t touch your registry.
- Unobtrusive and stays out of your way until you need it.